Honour an Indigenous Youth Award
The Provincial Aboriginal Youth Council (PAYC) recognizes Indigenous Youth for the Honour an Indigenous Youth (HIY) Award. If you know an Indigenous Youth who has made an outstanding commitment or achievement in their community, please nominate them to receive the HIY award. We want to recognize young role models who inspire and motivate others through leadership.
This award recognizes two Indigenous youth who:
– Inspire, support, and respect others with honour and dignity
– Inspire and motivate others through actions and solutions
– Demonstrate a positive attitude, respect and leadership
– Generously give their time and energy to their peers and fellow community members
– Demonstrate character and an ability to overcome adversity
– Promote Indigenous values and language in school and the community
– Show resiliency and a healing journey through cultural and spiritual values
– Lead a balanced lifestyle based on a foundation of strong cultural and spiritual values
You can nominate any youth if they are:
– First Nations, Metis, or Inuit ancestry
– Between 14 and 24 years of age
– Mandatory attendance at GOV is required
– Past award winners cannot be nominated again
– Anyone can nominate a youth except parents and/or guardians of the nominees. Each nomination must be supported by a reference from a community leader, Elder or other who is not related to the youth.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 11:59PM PST
Premier’s Awards for
Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport
The Province of British Columbia and the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity & Recreation Council (I·SPARC) have collaborated to establish the Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport to celebrate the outstanding achievements of Indigenous youth athletes throughout the province.
The Premier’s Awards recognizes athletes who have achieved excellence in performance sport, are regarded for their leadership qualities, are committed to pursuing a higher education, and are recognized as community role models both on and off the field of play.
Provincial recipients will receive an invitation to attend a special Indigenous Youth Sport Leadership Forum held at Gathering our Voices.